The Oregon Internet Exchange (Oregon-IX) provides rich Internet connectivity for Internet Service Providers and high-volume networks throughout the Northwest region. Oregon-IX partners can use Oregon-IX to exchange traffic with each other and maintain efficient packet routes without having to resort to costlier solutions. Oregon-IX is also involved with regional fiber projects.
With only a limited number of major exchange points in the United States and exponential growth in Internet traffic currently taking place, it is becoming increasingly difficult to send packets to a local destination via a direct route. One possible solution is to purchase an additional circuit from your current provider or another provider to handle increased load. But if a sigificant portion of your traffic is local, Oregon-IX provides a cost-effective way for you to route your traffic directly to its destination.
The Oregon Exchange is located on the University of Oregon campus at 1585 East 13th, Eugene, Oregon 97403. The NPA-NXX (phone number prefix) is 541-346 for this site. Oregon-IX partners connect to the exchange by co-locating a router at the Oregon IX's equipment room at the Oregon Hall switch-room facility on the University of Oregon Campus. DC power is available.
These are the network entities that make up the Oregon Internet Exchange:
- Eugene School District 4J (AS 6377)
- OIX Route-views (AS 6447)
- Oregon Internet Properties (AS 10488)
- NERO -- Network for Engineering and Research in Oregon (AS 3701)
- Peacehealth Medical Group (AS 18980)
- State of Oregon (AS 1798)
- University of Oregon (AS 3582)
Oregon-IX participants are encouraged to share route-views, more information is available from email@example.com.
Steps for becoming an Oregon-IX partner
- ISP contacts firstname.lastname@example.org to register with the exchange.
- ISP obtains all hardware necessary to connect to Oregon-IX.
- ISP forwards contact information (administrative and technical) to OIX Project Manager.
Participants will be responsible for all equipment and WAN circuits. Power and HVAC will be provided by OIX. The first 3RU (5.25 inches) of rack space is free. Additional rack space is available at the cost of $50/2RU (3.5 inches).